« Home | Intestinal Resection & Anastomosis » | Who let the dogs out? » | New Beginnings.... » | Dr. James Tan & Castration.... » | Chalk drawings by Julian Beever. » | This & That.... » | The Kingdom of Cambodia.... » | Nan da University Alumni 11th Annual Gathering » | The beautiful Altona beach... » | Home Sweet Home... »

Surgery....

The surgery went ok on friday. Hiro was anesthetist, Hui-Ying assistant and of cause I was the 'Surgeon'. Basically, we cut off a section of small intestine (since there’s usually an obstruction or infection in this area) before we sewed it back up.

Time flew during surgery and before I knew it, the Head of Surgeon went like: “5 mins left”. I just gave a silent expletive ‘oh shit’, because I only had 2 sutures (stitches) in, and apologized to Hiro immediately for I was sure that I would not get the Mars bars, which were awarded to successful teams. Luckily, I plowed on with the continuous technique instead of simple interrupted (knotted 1 by1) sutures and managed to complete the whole thing within the time limit. Alas when I thought it would be alright, there was a leak when the surgeon-in-charge came around to check it (what he did was inject a syringe full of saline solution in to see if any exited). We were given 1 chance to fix it though and fix it we did! So, we got the mars bar yay!!! It was quite exhilarating and I was so high on adrenaline I was drunk on it. The happy glow quickly faded when the dog had to be put down = (.

It didn’t matter if the surgery was successful or not as apparently the animals were donated to the Vet school and had either one problem or another. It was particularly upsetting for Hiro, I think, for she kept saying ‘sorry doggy’ for a full 5 mins. It went really easily in its sleep when an anesthetist gave it an overdose of drugs.

The anesthetist said: “Bye bye doggy, it’s time to go to doggy heaven.” I guess we can only seek comfort in that. It’s really quite remarkable how attached you can be to an animal in such a short period of time. Distance, think distance Zhong Mei….